Since the [/news/coronavirus/index.html coronavirus] pandemic kicked off last year, hand sanitisers have become staple items in most people's bags.
But a new report has warned that some hand sanitiser products available to purchase online may be unsafe to use.
Trading Standards has issued a recall for ibm valuepoint two hand sanitiser gels being sold on Amazon and [/sciencetech/ebay/index.html eBay], which were found to pose serious health risks to the public.
Worryingly, one of the gels was found to contain 37 per cent methanol - a highly toxic banned substance that if ingested, can lead to blindness and death.
Methanol is currently on The Cosmetic, Toiletry & Perfumery Association's list of banned ingredients allowed in any hand sanitisers in the UK.
The first hand sanitiser to be recalled is 'lbcccndc Instant Hand Sanitiser', which was sold on AliBaba and Ebay
<div class="art-ins mol-factbox floatRHS sciencetech" data-version="2" id="mol-ba8a7d50-573a-11eb-ac45-ab2b490bad8d" website gel recalled after analysis finds it contains toxic substance